Thursday, April 28, 2011

3 babies!!

Don't worry- not mine!! Chet/Mom- you can resume breathing now. :)

A mama bird decided to build a nest right outside our front door! Chet accidentally broke the glass around the coach light while replacing the bulb and before we could replace it, this bird decided to build her nest. It tooks weeks for her to finish but at the end, she made the perfect little round nest on top of such a small space. Since the light bulb was right next to her body, we decided to leave the porch light off for the last month. Since our front door has a security door/screen, it has been easy and fun to watch her without being noticed or intrusive.

About 2 weeks ago, I stood on a chair but still couldn't see the top of the nest so I raised my arm and clicked my phone camera. We were so thrilled to see 3 little eggs!
I noticed more activity yesterday- she was no longer just sitting but now tending to her "nest". When I got a chance to get a quick picture, this is what I saw today!
Don't worry, the "don't touch the baby birds or the mama will abandon them" thing is just a myth (even thought I didn't touch them anyway). Birds have a poor sense of smell.
I learn so much at work! :)


I know thousands of baby birds are born each day but when you get to watch it happen, its the greatest feeling!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

So, so cute!! What a fun thing for your family to watch and experience.