Friday, April 5, 2013

Home

We moved to Maricopa a little over 3 years ago. It was a pit stop for us, a way for us to own a cheaper home, get back on financial track and then move on.

We thought we would be here 1-2 years- max. Truthfully, I didn't like Maricopa that much and yearned for our forever home/community. Now that we are here for a little longer (1-2 years) while Chet's mom battles her fight against cancer, I am embracing Maricopa for the home it has been to us, right in front of us.

Our school is fantastic (the highest rated school in the county, not just Maricopa) and somehow we lucked out and bought our house within walking distance from the school. What's even more amazing is that the school board just approved for all elementary schools to now include 6th grade- starting in the fall with Julia's 6th grade year. The middle schools here (currently 6th-8th) are iffy and was an area of concern for us and somehow we were granted and blessed with another year at our school for her. 

Our cul de sac was once filled with people that I didn't call "good neighbors" but within the last few months it has been filled with wonderful, new owners and people who I am happy to share our cul de sac with. You know- the kind that you can ask to borrow a cup of sugar from (or help move our insanely heavy new chicken coop- that neighbor might not answer my calls anymore! It was THAT heavy!).

I am now seeing Maricopa as my home. It has that small town feeling that I had heard about. I once commented to my sister that I wanted to live somewhere where everyone went to the town parade or knew if there was a new coffee place coming to town. It's funny- it was right here and I was too busy driving OUT of Maricopa to notice.

Case in point #1- the town puts on an annual egg hunt for the community- all free. Everyone knows about it and everyone shows up for it.

Case in point #2- it was our first year attending

And I am so glad we did. The girls had a blast running into people we knew, getting their candy and bouncing until it ended.

I doubt we will stay in Maricopa long or make it our forever home but I finally happy we are here and definitely making the best of it

.  





2 comments:

eloiza said...

I love your attitude. Home is where our heart is. I would like to find again a poem named the "The Station". It says that we are always thinking of the past or looking forwards the future, but we forget to enjoy the present.
Suzanne, you and I love the new small town feeling.
Be happy! I am happy for my family.

cherryl said...

Such a great post. "Life is what happens to you when your busy making other plans"... I appreciated this post because we actually built our "dream house" but then after doing so I have second guessed our decision on where we built, and some things I don't like about the area started bugging me... and I've had to focus on the positive. And its silly. I think it is much harder to be happy with what your situation is in our day and age because we are so aware and surrounded with the knowledge of what everyone else also has. With facebook/blogs/TV etc... 200 years ago people didn't know and therefore probably compared less.
Such a good reminder for us all to focus on the positive. :)