Monday, April 21, 2008

My secret dream




With Julia going into 1st grade next year, I have been really thinking of how much I will miss her and how fast she is growing up. (My inability to let go of her next year is a whole new post).
I also love to travel with my family and even long road trips are so fun and full of adventure. We have driven to South Dakota AND Missouri- it was actually fun!

So..... my dream is to someday take off a year and travel the country with our children- before Julia gets to Junior High. I saw an article about it a while back and it's been on my mind since. Talk about the ideal homeschool! Think of all the history lessons, lessons about state capitols, math equations (miles/per gallon sort of thing), etc. It would be wonderful to be unplugged from the TV, computer, yardwork, etc and just be a family.

I truly hope it can happen for our family someday. I know I would miss my little luxuries but it would be worth it. When I was little, my family drove to Canada and back over a month or two. It is one of my fondest memories. I still remember riding our bikes through the streets of Washington and stopping to pick wild berries. I read A LOT that summer and can still remember some of the books that I picked up along the way. It was a great summer- thanks Mom and Ron!

5 comments:

jenny said...

I think that is super ambitious!! I hope you are able to do it. Me on the other hand am done with traveling after about 14 hours (we have done that WAY too much between TX and AZ)

Have you seen RV? It is a crack up.

Suzanne said...

Can we join you? I would LOVE to do something like that! Seriously! Do you remember how many park n' swaps we went to? I remember the tons of books, but also the stuffed animals. I don't think it would be too safe nowadays to leave the kids in the back of the trailor while we all drive up in front!! :)

Jen Shumway said...

That would be so fun. I hope you get to do it someday.

Courtney said...

I would love to take my family all around to see the history of our country...what a fun trip! Steve has totally talked about renting an RV and taking off (that was prior to seeing the movie RV). What a fun goal...you should totally do it!

5gnarlyNalls said...

I agree with you! I have always wanted to do something like that as well. Maybe even take the kids to a foreign country for a year to explore a different culture! I sure hope we are able to do that someday as well!