Saturday, June 21, 2008

Buying organic on a budget

We try to buy mostly organic milk, dry goods, meat, other dairy, etc BUT buying organic produce in Arizona is SO expensive and hard to find. When organic strawberries are $5 a pint (!), I mostly reach for the conventional strawberries for $1 pint.

There is a local, non profit co-op (volunteer run) that has recently added organic produce to their list. For $25, you can get a basket full of organic fruits and veggies. Today was their first pick up day and I was so excited! They have a pickup site right in my neighborhood (a total of 20+ sites in the East Valley).

From what I understand, the co-op has enough participants to have the same buying power as Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc. But, they don't markup the prices like the stores do- they share the wholesale savings with the co-op participants. Can't beat that!

This is what I got this morning for $25:


I figured out that I would have spent the same amount of $ if I bought the same amount of conventional items in a store.

For anyone interested, the website is www.bountifulbaskets.org

4 comments:

Jen Shumway said...

I get emails all the time to order but never have. Looks good though. I Saw Kelly Rogers today and gave her my blog so I am sure she will be checking in on you.

Suzanne said...

That is an awesome price for all of that yummy fruit! That is great that your community offers that. We just love our little co-op.

5gnarlyNalls said...

Gosh that is great! We pay sooooo much just for regular produce here. And now it's only going to get worse with all the flooding we have had around here!

jenny said...

Wow! I am impressed that you do that. They look so fresh and yummy.