Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"Huh, I guess I can swim!"

It was a HUGE day in our house yesterday. Both Bella and Julia swam by themselves- for the first time! We decided to go for an evening swim after Chet got home. Bella wanted to swim without floaties and she loved it. We never would have guessed that she could learn so quickly or that she would learn before Julia. Maybe we should have more faith in our kids, huh? It's so cute to watch her- she looks like a little bobbing pencil in the water. She does just enough to keep her head above water (most of the time). She is fearless- within minutes of learning this new skill, she was jumping of the side of the pool and bobbing right up. We are so proud of her and can't wait to see how much she progresses the rest of the summer.

It is amazing that 2 biological sisters could be SO different. Julia loves to swim- with her floaties- and has been so hesitant to swim without them. After a few minutes of watching us praise Bella, she also agreed to swim without her trusted floaties. Her first attempt was across the length of the pool and she did great! After she was done, she said "Huh, I guess I can swim!" She is so proud. She has always wanted to join a swim team like her friend Jamie so that's her goal for next summer.

My mom said that my sister and I were the same way. I was always worried about trying new things and my sister was fearless.

Now, I just to figure out how to go swimming alone with 2 kids who are new swimmers! That should be relaxing! :)

Video of Bella


Video of Julia (this video should be titled "Use your arms, kick, use your arms, kick"). You need to turn up the sound to see what I am saying.
Just kidding Chet- you were a great teacher!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

WAY TO GO GIRLS!! That is wonderful. I'm so showing this to Braden to motivate him. It's been a big couple of months for Bella--swimming AND potty training. She is growing up

The Gerard Family said...

YAH! What a relief that they both can swim. That has to feel so nice. YOU GO GIRLS!!

Jen Shumway said...

what a relief to know they can save themselves if they needed to.

Angie Giannotti said...

Yay Julia and Bella!!! Can't wait to get all the kids together and watch them all show off to each other!!!

jenny said...

Way to go! I hope that is our case come next summer. It definitely is more reassuring knowing they can swim!