Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We have officially joined Crunchyville!

And this is our "flag" to prove it.


This is our new compost bin! I have been dying to start one and finally got around to getting a bin. You too can get your very own just by calling the city's Solid Waste division! :) I know that Gilbert and Chandler give these to residents for free.

It's SO easy and so good for the environment. Plus, it will provide wonderful, organic soil. I do it mostly for the "green" aspect of it since I don't really garden or need much of the actual compost. So, it all goes well, in a few months I will have free compost to give away. Who knows, maybe I will be inspired to start growing a real garden!

Basically, we gather up all our fruit and veggie scraps in a container in the kitchen. After a week, we throw it into the compost and add shredded paper (we have a ton of shredded bills) or grass clippings. (The girls get a huge kick out of throwing stuff in the bin.) You keep layering "green" and "brown" layers like this and soon you will get compost! There are a few more steps (very simple) that I won't bore you with but its so easy! By the way, the fruit/veggie scrap container does not smell at all. I am super picky about my house smelling clean and it doesn't smell at all. You have to stick your head inside the container to even get a whiff of ripe fruit.

I had to take a picture of our back lawn. We had decided not overseed this year to save time and money. But, I called our lawn guy a few minutes too late because his crew had just left our house when I called. Oops! I am kind of glad we had it done- it's the nicest time of the year right now and a great time to be outside. I love looking out the window and seeing this!

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

So jealous of your grass!! We will have to wait until late May to see that again! I love the fact that you are composting. .Send some of that great soil my way for my garden.

Courtney said...

You go you green woman you! I am lovin your green grass...I love winter lawns! Congrats on 10 years and I love your cute prego belly!

Jen Shumway said...

Your grass looks great. Can't wait for mine to grow in that good.