Monday, June 11, 2012

Her own space


 As Julia prepares to enter the double digits later this week (my baby is 10!), we decided that she needed her own space and her own room (she has been sharing with Bella for the last 2 yrs). I have spent the last 3 months pinning ideas, shopping for little decor items and dreaming of her reaction to the room. She had no idea that we were going to surprise her this past weekend during her family birthday party (will blog about that next). My parents took all 3 girls to their house for the weekend while Chet and I busily worked on a room makeover! We painted the room, bought some new (and one Craigslist refinishing job) furniture, and new bedding to decorate a room perfect for our big girl. I was counting the minutes until she got home and to unveil her surprise. We sent her on a scavenger hunt that ended up taking her to "Camille's room"- when she opened the door, she stopped, turned around and hugged me, then Chet for a long time. I could tell that she was tearing up. She then walked around her room soaking up every detail. She loved it all and spent the rest of the day carefully putting her stuff in the right spots and keeping all the kids kids off the bed. She  even told my mom not to put her feet on the bed (she wasn't going to anyway but my mom thought that was funny)! 
She woke up the next day and said she thought she was dreaming. She had already made her bed by 7am! She has been so grateful and has definitely been acting more mature (for a while now)- I am definitely enjoying our new relationship! 
Happy birthday week Julia!! We love you!


We are still working on a few details of the room- now she can help fill the space above her bed. 

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Such a fantastic new room! Way to go !!!! She looks so old, mature, and beautiful in that first picture. Our big 10 year old!!

eloiza said...

Happy birthday Daniella and Julia! You and Chet did an amazing job. Her new room looks fantastic! I am sure that Julia loves it!